Random Rarebits 2

Monday, May 29, 2006

To understand a mom's love

Sit back and think. When was the last time you took your mom out on a date and spent a whole day with her?

Youth fades, love droops,
the leaves of friendship fall
but a mother's secret hope
outlives them all.

-- Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894)


I thought spending some quality time with Emak would be the least I could do for a very belated mother's day treat. I did that yesterday and dedicated a whole day for Emak - beginning from breakfast. Not Breakfast at Tiffany's but Brady Brunch instead.

I let Emak choose wherever she wants to go because it was her day. My time was hers.



Emak chose Dim Sum and Durian Mousse Pancake at her favorite chinese retaurant, Lai Po Heen located at Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur.

Good choice, that Durian Mousse Pancake was par excellent!


The more I talk with my mom, the more I discovered about her - many leaves unfolded. My mom was the first Malay girl in the entire district of Kuang, Selangor to go to an English missionary secondary school on scholarship during her time - that was in the 50's when only a fraction of Malay girls actually went to secondary school. Convent Bukit Nanas was in Kuala Lumpur, still is. So Emak stayed with my great granma's friend, who happened to be my dad's father, and my grandfather too. That's how my parents met - they were childhood sweethearts.

I guess moving in with Emak would be a journey of self discovery for me afterall. She can't be any more happier that I have decided to move in with her.


Over lunch I gave her a lil present - a pink velvet heart-shaped pillow which says "World's Greatest Mom" in purple. Then I told her to explore inside the paper bag for another gift - a white and gold money envelope with a thousand bucks in it. Her shopping money, I said. A thousand bucks is not much for all that my mom is worth - considering she's running her own business and not financially dependent on her children - but right now it's what I can afford to give her without feeling the pinch. I have mortgage, car financing and bills to think about before I slurge on things, you know.

Whatever it it, it's the thought that counts most. Emak was so surprised and deliriously happy like a child getting a candy. She didn't expect it.

Oooohh....the look on her face, let me put it this way...

Dim Sum Brunch for two..............RM120
"World's Greatest Mom" pillow.....RM30
Shopping money for mom............RM1,000
The look on Emak's face...........Priceless



Emak said, "You know I've always prayed that you will be very successful and very happy in your life. You always make me feel proud."


A mother's prayer and blessing is important to me. I remember all my mother's prayers and they have always followed me wherever I go - they clung to me all my life. Everytime I achieved something or escaped a misfortune, I think it's Emak's prayers that was sent to God to help me succeed or overcome.

She was in tears and said to me, "I love you, you're my favorite daughter!"

To which I said, "I love you too, Emak. Tapi kan Emak, how can I be your favorite daughter. I'm your only daughter!"

Her only daughter who is alive, that is. I have two younger brothers. Sometimes I forgot that I do have an eldest sister and youngest sister both of whom died of premature births. I was born ten days late - and after 18 hours of excruciating labor, to which my mom reminded me of every now and then.



Emak always said to me, to understand a mother's love, bear your own children.


I don't really like very mellow and sentimental moments such as this because it makes me feel terribly vulnerable inside, so I took my mom to Suria KLCC for some shoe and handbag shopping. We had Thai Crunch Salad and BBQ Chopped Chicken Salad for dinner at California Pizza Kitchen at the shopping mall.



Finishing touch - as we drove home I turned on my CD player and dedicated to her a song by Josh Groban, "You Raised Me Up".

I stole a quick glance at her as I drove and I saw tears welling up in her eyes over a contented smile on her face, as she listened attentively to the song's lyrics...

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary;
When troubles come and my heart burdened be;
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence,
Until you come and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.


I think I had made her day. It was a fruitful day for both of us.




I think now that I'm older, getting along with Emak is a lot easier compared to my younger days.

Hmmm I wonder why I couldn't get along with Emak when I was much younger?

So it is true then when they say, everything has its own time and place.

Tell me what you think...

5 Comments:

  • liza:

    so so so sweet....huhuhu....very nice of you...and am sure ur mom, on the day, was touched and was so happy....
    in the end, it was the thoughts, the caring, the conversation, the little things you do...which make the difference.

    More of this inner feelings please...nice to read!

    idham

    By Blogger Idham, at Mon May 29, 09:04:00 PM 2006  

  • dear naliza,

    guess what, i've spent the rest of my 20's trying to prove that my mom was wrong, and now that I've entered my 30's, I am beginning to realise that she was right all along...Our relationship was quite turbulent when I was younger, but today, I'm happy to say that we're closer than ever!

    glad that things between you and your mom are getting better:-)

    ur friend,
    shida

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue May 30, 10:22:00 AM 2006  

  • hey just found out about the move.. sorry ketinggalan lori..
    heh heh

    such a sweet thing to do for your mom.
    Unfortunately during mother's day, my mom was taking care of me dalam pantang.. :P terbalik kut lak.. ;)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue May 30, 06:01:00 PM 2006  

  • idham: you're so right, bebey, it's the little things that make a big impression in your heart...

    shida: i think it's just part of growing up...

    elisa: nak i suruh lori patah balik amik you ker beb? hehehe...

    By Blogger Penglipur Lara, at Wed May 31, 02:00:00 AM 2006  

  • So sweet!

    By Blogger Nour, at Fri Jun 02, 08:51:00 AM 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home